Pages

Monday, November 15

Blushing Nashville.

I'm so weak.

Blame it on my seemingly small town redneck roots, my sensitivity for a sad story, or my peculiar adoration for a woman in cowboy boots, but I saw the trailer a few weeks back and haven't been able to get the movie out of my head ever since.

I really want to see Country Strong.




I know, right?! I don't get it either! I'm not even the biggest Paltrow fan (Shakespeare in Whaaat?), but I am intrigued that this is the movie she's chosen to do for her "comeback" after taking so much time off the big screen. Sure, she still gets to play drunk and rehabbed and everything else, but Oscar this does not reek of.

Still, the girl has pipes. She proved it in Duets (Huey Lewis shout out!) and she just reiterated it a little nervously on the CMAs a few nights back.



Lookin good Vince Gill! Maybe She'll drop a country album  and this movie is all just a clever rouse before her and hubby Coldplay Chris Martin become the new Judds! (I'm guessing Martin would be the Wynona).

Sigh.

Okay, who am I kidding? I know why I want to see this movie.
It's because I'm a good ol' country boy at heart. Don't judge me.

Maybe I'm just looking for a heartache. Maybe I need a chick flick fix so I can cry it out and think this movie may be my window. Maybe I think of Nashville, of country music, as the true stronghold of authenticity in this world. Or maybe I just really can't resist a movie with a built in singer/songwriter/performer soundtrack (Note: blogger will not leave examples of said films due to inner shame and loss of credibility.Weakness or no, there's still no way in hockey sticks I'm going to Burlesque).

Regardless of my confusion and inner turmoil, what I do know is that when I saw the trailer it took me back. Back to the 90's where attractive people in films struggled to hold onto, or even have, a dream. And I want to go to there.

Do I think Country Strong is going to be life changing? No. Do I think I'll be cringing at Paltrow's twangy take on Nashville speak? Sure. But will I secretly be relishing in the hot mess? Yup. Think So. Think. So.

And can I sleep now that I've just gone and given in and blogged about it? Hope so. Hope so.


Country Strong hits theatres Dec 22nd. You going? Or laughing?

And on a scale of one to ten how much credibility have I lost by embarassingly admitting my desire to see this? Ten being the most. Just curious.

 ...I'm such a sucker for a heartbreak...

1 comment:

  1. I'll go to Country Strong if you'll come to Burlesque. Double bill!

    Oh, and 1 on the cred loss scale.

    ReplyDelete